A drug and/or alcohol rehab center should feel like a place where you can focus on your physical and mental well-being during recovery. The social environment can be an important aspect of recovery, and the facility should offer ongoing and continuous support.
There are over 14,500 drug treatment facilities in the United States in a variety of settings, offering several different levels of care. The first stage of drug and alcohol rehab is often detoxification, which is then followed by a residential treatment program. Outpatient treatment options are also available.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Facility
When choosing a rehab facility, there are several factors you need to consider.
Level of Care Required
If you have been using drugs or alcohol for a long period of time and have significant physical and psychological dependence on these substances, a medical detoxification program followed by a residential rehab program can be ideal. Opioids, benzodiazepines, and alcohol can involve difficult emotional and physical withdrawal symptoms that are often best managed through medical means in a safe and secure environment.
Addiction is a chronic and relapsing disease, with relapse rates between 40 percent and 60 percent. If you have been to rehab before and need more support in recovery, a residential program can offer you the time and space to focus solely on your recovery without outside variables. Residential programs are also ideal if there is a history of anxiety, depression, suicidal behaviors, violence, or any additional underlying mental or medical health issues.
If drug use has started more recently, and you have a strong support system at home, an outpatient program is an option. Outpatient programs also offer flexibility for students still in school and individuals who need to continue to attend to work or have family obligations.
Location of the Facility
Where a facility is located is especially important if you are attending an outpatient program, as you will need to be able to easily access the site several times per week. Proximity can be important.
For residential programs, a private location can be optimal, offering anonymity and peace of mind during recovery. Picturesque locations with serene and calming environments can be nice for residents.
It is important to know how you are going to budget for rehab before entering into a program. You will need to know if they take insurance and, if so, how much will be covered. Most treatment facilities can work out some form of a payment plan or offer financing to help make treatment more accessible.
Specialty Therapies and Programs Offered
When choosing a rehab facility, pay attention to the types of programs and therapies offered. Not all treatment centers provide the same things or have the same focus. For instance, one rehab facility may have therapies designed to be more trauma-informed, while another may have programs designed specifically for pregnant women.
Rehab centers often have programs just for adolescents or the elderly, or they may offer programs that are gender-specific, culturally sensitive, or that cater to specific populations.
Social interactions during recovery are important. Group therapy and support groups are a key component of most treatment programs. It is helpful to be surrounded by people whom you feel comfortable opening up to and sharing space together.
Accommodations and Amenities
Every rehab facility is designed differently. Some offer luxury accommodations and private rooms, while residents in others share space. One person may do better with a high level of privacy, while another may benefit from less isolation and having a roommate.
Treatment facilities can also differ in recreational opportunities and amenities, nutritional programs and food provided, exercise equipment, and fitness programs. Luxury treatment programs may provide spa services, for instance.
Licensing and Accreditation of Facility and Staff
Drug and alcohol rehab facilities in Pompano Beach should be licensed by the state they operate within. They also have the opportunity to seek additional national accreditations that show a commitment to excellence. For example, the Joint Commission offers the Gold Seal of Approval to health care institutions that show dedication to patient safety and quality of care.
Staff members should be licensed, and it can be helpful to know what level of training and experience they have. Specialty programs often require specialized professionals. The staff-to-client ratio should be low, and staff members should be accessible when needed.
Levels of Care
There are three basic levels of care with addiction treatment: detox, outpatient, and inpatient (or residential) programs. There can be variable levels of care within these basic formats, including medical detox, intensive outpatient treatment, and partial hospitalization.
The levels of care are as follows:
- Detox: This is the process of allowing drugs to process out of the body.
- Medical detoxification: A medical detox program is an inpatient program that lasts up to two weeks. It often uses medications to help with cravings and withdrawal symptoms as the drugs or alcohol process safely out of the body.
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP): An IOP is a highly structured program that offers programming for a minimum of nine hours per week. Sessions are often three hours, three to five days per week, for between 12 and 16 weeks.
- Outpatient treatment: An outpatient treatment program can vary in length and the time commitment required, often offering sessions at variable times to accommodate schedules. These programs have a wide variety of options and programming available.
- Partial Hospitalization Program: A partial hospitalization program is another option on the continuum of care that is a step above traditional outpatient treatment and a step below residential treatment. Similar to an IOP, with a Partial Hospitalization Program, individuals receive intense and structured care during the day and then return home each night.
- Residential treatment: A residential treatment program provides care 24 hours a day, 7 days per week for a period of time — at least 90 days and often for 6 to 12 months. This type of program can offer the highest level of structure, supervision, and security during recovery.
The Boca Recovery Center in Pompano Beach
Offering both a medical detoxification program and a residential treatment program, the Boca Recovery Center in Pompano Beach, Florida, is nestled within the Sunshine State, offering luxurious accommodations, a game room, a fitness center, and both indoor and outdoor recreational opportunities.
The Boca Recovery Center has the Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval, and it is licensed by the Florida Department of Children and Families.
Focused on medial stabilization first, the medical detoxification program uses medical tapers and Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) to help individuals safely detox from drugs and/or alcohol.
After detox, individuals can seamlessly transition into the residential program where group and individual therapy sessions aim to address the nature of substance abuse issues as well as any co-occurring mental health concerns.
Master’s-level therapists provide the following specialty therapies:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Therapy for eating disorders
- Abstinence-based options
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
How to Know if the Program Is Right for You
When seeking a drug or alcohol rehab program, finding the right fit is essential to aiding in your recovery. It is important to feel safe, heard, secure, and connected while learning to address difficult behavior and thought patterns, and rework them in a more positive way.
It can be helpful to visit the facility to get a feel for it. Talk to the staff members and understand what the program offers and what to expect.
You will need to decide what your specific goals and needs are, and find a program that suits these. Reviews and testimonials can help to ease your mind, as they come from people who have been through the program already.
Choose a program that is within your budget, has a location that works for you, and meets as many of your specific criteria as possible.
Recovery Resources in Pompano Beach, FL
A program that offers a full continuum of care, with the ability to move between levels of care and receive support from the community, can be ideal during recovery. Support groups and ongoing aftercare can offer the best foundation for sustained recovery.
Resources to support recovery in Pompano Beach include the following:
- NAMI Broward County: The National Alliance on Mental Illness in Broward County provides resources and information for families and individuals who need mental health support in the local area.
- FindTreatment.gov: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) operates a national treatment locator that can help you find local treatment options by entering your zip code.
- Pompano Beach Group of AA: Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a 12-step peer support group that offers meetings in the local area to support recovery.
- Gold Coast Area of Narcotics Anonymous (NA): NA provides peer support through a 12-step program, helping to sustain recovery. Participants must have a desire to stop using and remain drug- and alcohol-free.
Social support can be very beneficial during recovery. Ideally, it should last well beyond a structured drug or alcohol treatment. Find the right level of support to help you maintain a long-lasting recovery.
- Drug Addiction Treatment in the United States. (January 2018). National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).
- How Effective Is Drug Addiction Treatment? (January 2018). National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).
- The Joint Commission. (2021). The Joint Commission.
- Substance Abuse: Clinical Issues in Intensive Outpatient Treatment. (2006). Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- Florida Department of Children and Families. (2019). Florida Department of Children & Families.
- NAMI Broward County. National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI).
- FindTreatment.gov. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- Pompano Beach Group. Broward County Intergroup AA.
- Gold Coast Area of Narcotics Anonymous (NA). Narcotics Anonymous (NA).