Our Editorial Mission & Values
Boca Recovery Center is committed to providing readers with valuable, medically accurate, and up-to-date information based on current best practices. We aim to create content that is accessible to everyone and demonstrates the following:
- Authoritativeness: We only cite credible, reputable sources, such as medical journals, government sites, and the DSM-5, and our content is medically reviewed by a doctor to ensure accuracy and reliability.
- Relevance: Our library and blog articles include current, relevant information related to addiction, mental health, detox, substance abuse treatment, drugs of abuse, health insurance, and more.
- Evidence-based information: Our content is supported by clinical evidence, peer-reviewed journal articles, and addiction best practices.
- Integrity: Honesty and transparency are important to us, and we always put the reader first, using language that is inclusive and non-stigmatizing, empowering them to make informed decisions.
Although our content goes through a rigorous editorial and medical process to ensure accuracy, our articles aren’t substitutes for medical advice or care. Contact your doctor or reach out to our team if you’re interested in treatment or a substance abuse assessment.
Reputable, Authoritative Sources
We hold all of our content to the highest standards, ensuring we provide medically-accurate, up-to-date, credible information. We use reputable and authoritative sources, such as:
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- American Society of Addiction Medicine
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAA)
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition: DSM-5 from the American Psychiatric Association
- The Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration Diversion Control Division (DEA)
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
We also use peer-reviewed journals and scholarly articles in medical journals, including but not limited to:
- Journal of Addiction Medicine
- Drug and Alcohol Dependence
- Addictive Behaviors
- The American Journal on Addiction
- Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment
- Psychology of Addictive Behaviors
- American Journal of Drug and Alcohol
- European Addiction Research
Our Content Style & Guiding Principles
At Boca Recovery Center, we are committed to providing inclusive, knowledgeable, and unbiased content that recognizes the diversity of experience and identity. Our content style guidelines include:
- Inclusive language: People of all different genders, sexualities, ethnicities, races, ages, and religions can be affected by substance use disorder and co-occurring mental health disorders, and our content reflects this diversity.
- Person-first language: We use language that reflects the humanity of everyone, placing the person before their condition or disability. People are not “addicts,” but rather, individuals with substance use disorder or addiction.
- Avoiding stigmatizing terms: We avoid using stigmatizing terms and language in our content since stigma can negatively affect those with addiction, leading to shame, isolation, and worsening of mental health. It can also decrease a person’s willingness to seek treatment and can cause others to feel anger and fear related to those affected by addiction.
Our Facility Standards
Boca Recovery Center is a substance use disorder and co-occurring mental health treatment program offering the most advanced clinical programming, detoxification, and residential treatment.
All of our facilities are accredited by The Joint Commission (TJC), and each is licensed by the region’s state governing body. We are committed to providing our patients with the highest quality and safety standards of care. We treat every patient with respect, dignity, and compassion throughout the recovery process, offering inclusive, individualized treatment planning that takes each person’s unique needs into account. At Boca Recovery Center, we believe long-term recovery is possible through collaboration, integrated and comprehensive care, and strong therapeutic relationships.
Boca Recovery Center doesn’t accept any sponsorship or advertising. We are committed to providing authoritative, unbiased, and trustworthy content without the influence of advertising.
Our Staff & Contributors
Boca Recovery Center is comprised of a team of writers and editors dedicated to providing educational content guided by addiction best practices and the latest research.
Our content is medically reviewed by Dr. Alison, Tarlow, Licensed Clinical Psychologist and Chief Clinical Officer, for accuracy, relevance, credibility, and correct interpretation of sources.
Dr. Tarlow has over 15 years as a practicing psychologist and is a Certified Addictions Professional, Internationally Certified Drug and Alcohol Counselor (ICADC), Certified Clinical Supervisor, and more.